Calculate the length of thread

cellprofiler
identifyprimary

Hi:

I find someone ask "Measuring the length of tight junctions - length " a month ago and he/she seems to manage this problem. Unluckily, she did not upload the pipeline so I do not know how to make it. Recently, I am trying to do something similar, namely calculate the length of thread. I hope someone can show me some suggestion.

I modified the image, and post it here:

Spread2

I write a pipeline myself, and here is the brief introduction:

Here is my pipeline:
thread.cppipe (6.7 KB)

You can see currently, there exist such problems:

Identifyprimary is not good. I even have a hole when identify the image. I need to calculate the length of thread between those connections. But the current object is not what I want.

I hope someone can show some suggestion. Thank you.

Something is wrong with the upload. Please find the image in this link:

Best
Dingcheng

Hi Dingcheng,

First : many thanks for your active help for others in the forum. We definitely need such valuable contributions from everyone. Really appreciate it. Keep up the good work !

In your IDprimary, at option “Fill holes in identified objects”, try to set it to “Never”.
It will help to retain only the threads and not filling the empty space.

Then at the "Typical diameter of objects", your current setting 1-9 is too small, tune it up to something like 10-40 for a longer object.

Next, in your “Method to distinguish clumped objects” : don’t use “Intensity”. Actually, you should not use anything here, if your goal is to measure the length of connected threads.

You may try to split the object “SplitOrMergeObjects” after IDprimary, or using some preprocessing trick like Erosion before IDprimary to disconnect the branches.

Hope that will help.

Bests.

Hi Minh:

Thank you for your reply. I am glad to help others, and I am also very happy to get help from others.

In fact I find out a way by combining the Cellprofiler and MATLAB. It takes time but the result is not bad. Here is how I do it:

Besides those calculated from MeasureObjectSizeShape, I also need those:

1. Length of thread
  2. Tortuosity of thread (length/distance)

Currently, I did not figure out how to do it the Cellprofiler, but it is quite easy in MATLAB. As you see, I put the value of length on the image:

So, I summarize my questions here:

1. Can I measure the length and Tortuosity of thread in Cellprofiler?
  2. How to break the connection point and get segmented thread in the Cellprofiler? (maybe SplitOrMergeObjects work. But I have no idea)

Thank you

That ! is a really good MATLAB solution.

In CP3.0, I think the module that deals most with branching points would be MeasureObjectSkeleton (in “Advance”). Can you have a try “NumberBranchEnds” and “TotalObjectSkeletonLength

It deserves a serious look from other experts of the team. Will discuss this with other assay dev.

Great job!

Hi:

I have tried, but I still don’t understand what is ‘seed object’ in the MeasureObjectSkeleton. You must be the expert in this area, and I hope you can help me improve this.

Spread2_preview

branch.cppipe (7.2 KB)

Seed objects are small objects within a larger one- typically this would be “I’m going to find a nucleus, use that as my seed object, and then try to calculate the lengths of processes off that neuron”. It doesn’t particularly apply in your case.

You can find your branchpoints in CP without havivng to go into MatLab using Morph’s "Branchpoint’ option on your skeletonized image.

You should be able to at least approximate the length of thread in these images by measuring the area of the skeltonized objects (since their width is 1, area == length). I think your “tortuosity” should be able to be approximated by the “area” (which again, is length) divided by the MajorAxisLength (which should be approximately equal to the distance), but you should check empirically to see if that’s close enough for your purposes.

Hej at all,

first of all, I want to say thank you for this great program!! :slight_smile:
I’m quite new in using cellprofiler but it is a very effectiv tool.

Now to my actuel problem:
with this approach I come a piece closer to measure the width of tight junctions.
I tried to use the approach to break down my skeleton at the branch points, but it failed. The seperation doesn’t work as I expected and also the spliting at the branch points dosen’t work… Can you help me how I can split the objects at the branch points and seperate them into single objects like the ones shown in the MatLab output image postet by Dingchen.

One problem is, that I can’t use the module morph skeleton, due to the fact that I want to calculate the width out of (area)/(length) of the objects…

Or is there another change to measure the width of tight junctions?

Regards
Markus

approach_splitting.cppipe (12.3 KB)

I found a solution which seems to work.

So don’t wast your time for my request from yesterday.

Regards
Markus