Buffer Overflow Exception -BEX - Windows Crash

Hi Guys,

Just a note of an issue I ran into;

Running Win7 Pro 64bit on an i7 with 16Gb RAM.
When populating the training sets, the program sometimes hangs and you must force quit. The following Windows error appears:

[size=150]Error Message[/size]

[quote]Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: cpa.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4d264c2d
Fault Module Name: MSVCR90.dll
Fault Module Version: 9.0.30729.4940
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ca2ef57
Exception Offset: 00071f93
Exception Code: c0000417
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 4c98
Additional Information 2: 4c98092e5e2eda594b891f3082316b3d
Additional Information 3: 6ad3
Additional Information 4: 6ad3940877f665a2ce265b32b2aa8269

Read our privacy statement online:
go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= … cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
[/quote]

From what I can tell on Google, this BEX error relates to anti virus protection, and is some sort of buffer overflow, or attempt to execute code from an unexpected region of memory.
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr … 10%29.aspx

I have tried adding CPA to the Data Execution Prevention exemption list as suggested here
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind … c3a17a9e10

However this hasn’t fixed the problem. It mainly occurs when thumbnails are being generated in classifier, either when I fetch 300+ random new cells, or when I add cells from an image it can sometimes crash.
I’m going to run my dataset again over the weekend and generate the thumbnails in CP which I hope will take the load off CPA and stop this overflow error.

I know that CPA isn’t actively supported, but just incase any other users have come accross a fix?

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,
I haven’t seen this one before. But as a guess, would you please try running CPA as an administrator? (right-click CPA.exe-> Run As Admin)
It may just need more privileges. We often run as Admin here on our VMs, so we may not have tested for this.

Cheers,
David

Hi David,

I’m in the habit of running most things as an admin, so that’s not the problem. Also troubleshooting compatibility and running with recommended settings (XP SP2) didn’t fix the problem.

I can save a training set of ~3000 images, and when I load it the thumbnails are all fetched with no problem. However, if I try to fetch 500 random cells, the program crashes as it’s populating the thumbnails.

In the debug window I am getting the bioformats error (fallback on PIL and tiff file). I tried and failed to fix this a while back and have just been ignoring it as the software works! Do you think this could play a part?

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,
I see you have tried the simple solutions already, as I suggested. Yes, it could be that bioformats is (sometimes?) crashing and causing the issue. I will post this issue on our bugtracker. But for now,
(1) What version of CPA are you using? Compiled (11710?), or source (what git version?)
(2) Perhaps there is something unusual with your images (or subset of them?) Would you attach a sample image that might be failing? Bioformats and PIL might have trouble with your flavor of tiff for some reason.

Thanks,
David

github.com/CellProfiler/CellPro … /issues/18