BoneJ conversion between g/ccm to mg/ccm

Would someone be able to explain how the BoneJ software converts between mg/ccm to g/ccm of density in the bone marrow using the density distribution function? Also what algorithm is being used to derive the Stratec MaD value. I am making comparisons between BoneJ and Stratec threshold techniques, however, since Stratec only provides mg/ccm densities, it would be useful to understand how the two units are related.

Thank you!

I made an attempt to convert the hydroxyapatite equivalent densities to physical density when I evaluated marrow density from Stratec images (J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 May;98(5):2037-44. doi: 10.1210/jc.2012-3748. Epub 2013 Apr 24.), and wanted to find out if the values we’re getting are even remotely realistic (they are). For the explanation of the reasoning, please refer to the paper I’ve mentioned above (page 2039 under ‘Marrow analysis’. If you cannot access the paper, send me an e-mail [t.rantalainen@deakin.edu.au] for a copy. I’m not sure if I could’ve just copied the pertinent section here). The implementation can be found from https://github.com/mdoube/BoneJ/blob/master/src/org/doube/bonej/pqct/analysis/CorticalAnalysis.java lines 75 to 90 (the implementation of the threshold-based segmentation from lines 61 to 70 in the same file).

1 Like

Thank you for the response and sending us the implementation of the threshold-based segmentation. I am interested to know which value was reported in your paper, whether it was the MaMassD (g/cm^3) or the StratecMaMassD (g/cm^3).

I used the StratecMaMassD, which is the correct physical density.

If memory serves the MaMassD is the value I got when I assumed that 0 mg/cm³ startec density is water, which it isn’t (that is stratec 0 is fat, water around 30 mg/cm³).