Blank windows when maximised under Linux

Hi,

I’m using CellProfiler version 2.1.0 for linux, revision author timestamp : 20131031142246 and when I analyse images and I try to maximise the display window everything dissapears, same thing if I leave the window not maximised and click on the home button. Any idea what’s the problem ?

Did this operation work previously, and it’s only just exhibiting this behavior as of now?

In any case, I think we noticed a similar problem and posted a probable fix: github.com/CellProfiler/CellProfiler/issues/879. Let us know if this doesn’t solve the problem.

Regards,
-Mark

Dear Mark,

yes this operation was working previously with an older version of CellProfiler and started to fail as of now. I have downloaded in the meantime the latest stable version of CellProfiler (2.1.0, Git hash : SVN : 10948, timestamp : 20131031134359) and I still have the problem. I have also upgraded my version of Matplotlib to 1.3.1 but it doesn’t help. The error message I get in the console is the following :
" (python:15829): LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-CRITICAL **: watch_submenu: assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL(menu)’ failed " so I guess it’s a GTK issue rather than a CellProfiler specific issue, any idea how to solve this issue ?

best regards,
Julien

Hi Julien,

Are you using Ubuntu? If so, it may be the same as (or related to) the issue reported here. If so, I’m not if it’s solvable on our end without checking with our software engineer; I’ve filed a bug report on GitHub for it.

Regards,
-Mark

Julien, I think this may be the bug reported here: github.com/CellProfiler/CellProfiler/issues/879. If you could reproduce the bug, click the “details” button in the error report and copy the stack trace, that would be helpful. Also, if you could report your matplotlib version number, that would be helpful:

There’s a bug in the recently-released Matplotlib 1.3.0 that causes this problem. You can either hand-edit matplotlib as described in issue #879 or upgrade to 1.3.1 if it turns out you are running 1.3.0.

Another possibility is that it’s similar to a problematic interaction between Ubuntu and Eclipse: bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=330563
The suggested work-around is to set the environment variable, “UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0”. If this works for you, please tell me and I will have CellProfiler internally set this before it starts the GUI.

If neither of these work, I’d be glad to assist further. We’ve opened up an issue (github.com/CellProfiler/CellProfiler/issues/885) for you. If you can continue the thread there, I’ll notice it sooner and respond more quickly.

–Lee

Hi Mark,

I’m indeed using Ubuntu 12.10 64 bits with KDE.
I’ve looked at the link about the issue with wxWidgets but I can’t find the files they are talking about (menu.h and menu.cpp) so I can’t apply the patch they suggested to see if it solves the problem,

regards,
Julien

[quote=“mbray”]Hi Julien,

Are you using Ubuntu? If so, it may be the same as (or related to) the issue reported here. If so, I’m not if it’s solvable on our end without checking with our software engineer; I’ve filed a bug report on GitHub for it.

Regards,
-Mark[/quote]

Conversation continues here on GitHub. Will post here if solution found.
-Mark