BioFormats - Lifext: pyramid support for Leica LIF file : status?

Dear magnificent @OMETeam,

I discovered recently that lif files can come with companion files (extension .lifext) which can contain pyramid representations. I even saw this trello card mentioning this evolution (one year ago):

What’s the current status of lifext support ? We have quite a lot of Leica systems at our facility, and we would be reeeeally interested in a proper support of lif pyramids.

Best,

Nico

1 Like

For the record, I also note that there was a post regarding lof files (Opening .lof Leica files), which is another format from Leica.

However, it seems that supporting this lifext format could require less work ? I tested: by just replacing the .lifext extension with a .lif extension, it’s already possible to open the .lifext file with BioFormats.

What’s missing is ‘only’ the mapping of these downsampled series to the original full res images ?

Best,

Nico

1 Like

Hi Nico, i’m afraid the current status is still that neither are currently supported.

Realistically as mentioned in one of the links in the LOF thread (OME’s position regarding file formats), this is not likely to be added via the open source side in the short term. Other similar format work recently has been as a result of external contributions to the project, either by the manufacturer or the community, or through work commissioned via Glencoe Software.

That being said a quick test of lifext does seem to open the files even without needing to rename them (the LIF Reader uses a magic bytes signature to identify files rather than the extension and these files seem to share that). This wont however take into account any mapping of the files and certainly hasn’t been fully tested or developed.

4 Likes

Thanks for your answer and I perfectly understand your point.

1 Like