Basic help installing plugins

Hi,

I have just moved to a new Mac and am having issues installing any plugins. After dragging downloads into ‘plugins’ folder in the imagej application folder and restarting it never appears. Also when expanding the memory I am hit with a ‘permissions’ error despite changing permissions repeatedly.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

1 Like

Dear @Carla,

welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Some questions regarding your workflow

1. Where did you get ImageJ? Are we talking about ImageJ2 or Fiji?
  2. Did you download a JAR file that contains an underscore in the filename? Which plugins did you try, is it a specific one?
  3. What do you mean by expanding memory?
  4. Is your ImageJ.app/Fiji.app in a folder that you have write permissions in?

Best,
Stefan

A post was split to a new topic: SPE plugin not showing up in menu

Dear @Carla,

are you running macOS 10.12 (Sierra)? If so, newly added security features might be the reason for plugins not showing up. There are detailed installation instructions to fix that issue on https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/docs/install/osx.html:

macOS 10.12 (Sierra) introduces a security feature called Path Randomization that can cause ImageJ to not work as expected. Path randomization is in effect if the “ImageJ home” path shown in the Image>Show Info window starts with “/private” and plugins are not installed in the Plugins menu. You can disable path randomization by moving ImageJ.app out of the ImageJ folder and then copying it back. If the ImageJ folder is in /Applications you will need to hold down the alt key while dragging ImageJ.app out of the ImageJ folder.

Best,
Stefan

1 Like