Avi format videos

imagej

Hi,
I started using the newest version of Motic Images to have students do video tracking analysis (Z-stacks) of swimming ciliates. It seems that the new Motic Images (v3.0) generates an avi video that is not accepted by Image J (something related to the compression). People at Motic tell me that the software does not compress the videos. Is there any way to get around this? The previous version of Motic Images I had been using (v2.0) would open a window asking if I wanted to save a video in compressed vs non-compressed format, and as long as I said no, it would work fine.

Thanks

@garylaverty

How are you opening this files in ImageJ? We recommend opening via File > Import > Bio-Formats - that way your metadata in read in correctly. You can read up more on Bio-Formats here.

eta

Thank you, I will try that. I was trying to just “drag and drop.”

Gary

@garylaverty - Yeah… drag/drop can get a bit ‘weird’ sometimes… In general, I stay away from that and always use Bio-Formats. Try it out and let us know if that works for you.

eta :slight_smile:

Hi, I’ve tried using Import >> Bioformats. Then a window opens that asks about the type of file, standard Image J, metadata, etc. I tried several different combinations but I keep getting the same error message about the file not accepted. Do you think I just need to get a new version of Image J (FIJI)? It was probably loaded on these computers at least 2 years ago.

Thanks
Gary

Hey @garylaverty

So yes - we usually recommend updating your Fiji regularly… (you can read more about updating Fiji here). Do that first - before you do anything else. You can also just do a clean install of the latest Fiji - by just downloading it from here.

Just let me know if that does it - it should!

eta :slight_smile:

Hi,

I downloaded the newest version of Fiji, tried both 32 and 64 bit and the Motic files still will not load. I tried Bioformats, then tried various options from the menu (hyperstacks, metadata, etc) and none allowed me to upload the “avi” files. However, following a lead I found on this forum, I downloaded “ICY” and a new JAVA version and I was then able to upload Motic files and view them. Then, when I save the ICY file as an avi file, it can then be read by Fiji. So I wonder if Motic has some kind of modification to their avi file format?

This will work for me, although it takes a few extra steps.
Thanks
Gary

Hey @garylaverty

Ok - glad you at least found a workaround for the moment. Perhaps Motic did change something - so you can check with them. You could also ask on the Bio-Formats user forum here - to see if others came across this same issue with Motic .avi files.

eta

You can read more about ImageJ’s support for video formats on the Video page of the wiki.