Job Title: Associate Director - High Throughput Screening
Location: San Diego, CA
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking a talented, proactive and innovative Associate Director to lead the High Throughput Screening (HTS) group in Discovery Operations. The HTS team at Vertex plays a vital role in support of local and global operations in generating leads from primary screens as well as selection of clinical candidates from weekly medicinal chemistry assays. The team is transitioning from utilization of more traditional target-based assay formats to emphasis on more complex and challenging disease relevant phenotypic assay formats that utilize both common HTS related disciplines as well as novel approaches.
• Drive early research to H2L completion which includes assay development and optimization, primary screens and H2L chemistry.
• Effective application of High Throughput Screening technologies and other disciplines that enable industrialization of complex assays from small bench level applications to robust drug discovery formats.
• Represent the HTS group across other departments and Vertex research sites, bringing solutions to drug discovery problems.
• Effective execution of Medicinal Chemistry or lead optimization assays and use key insights to enable projects to select clinical candidates.
• Manage research staff with all incumbent supervisory responsibilities.
• Mentor/coach and manage others, inspire scientific participation and resolve conflicts.
Communicate company objectives to team and lead execution in a clear and efficient manner to meet timelines.
• Lead a cross site High Throughput Screening working group.
• Derive widespread peer respect through scientific leadership and the display of high ethical standards.
• Master of Science (MS) in Biology, or related discipline, and 7+ years productive and relevant experience in a drug discovery environment.
• Must have in vitro assay platform expertise and usage of automation, technology and process required to execute primary cell and stem cells used to develop and optimize complex biology/phenotypic assays.
o This includes experience in:
Utilizing automation, complex data sets and various assay detection methodologies to support drug discovery projects;
Conceiving, designing and implementing assays to support MedChem and/or primary screening assays.
• Established expertise in cell biology methodologies using primary cells or stem cells.
• Proven ability to lead and participate in preclinical Drug Discovery projects from gene to clinical candidates.
• Successful track record communicating and advancing innovative concepts or pharmacological insights that impact the direction of drug discovery.
• Demonstrated ability to manage / supervise and inspire scientific innovation to multi-disciplinary teams and individuals.
• Doctorate of Science (Ph.D.) in Biology, or related discipline and 4-7 years productive and relevant post-doctoral employment experience in a drug discovery environment
• Experience using epithelial and neuronal cell types for cell biology methodology.
- Knowledge of Cystic Fibrosis or neurodegenerative diseases
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly–matrixed work environment.
More information, and to apply: careers.vrtx.com/jobs/descriptio … -1-3874217