Analyze Skeleton "running average length"

Hi all,

We are doing some 3D skeleton analysis with the Analyze Skeleton plugin but we do not understand the meaning of the result “Running average length”.
I cannot find info about this parameter in the plugin site :frowning:
Any help will be really welcome!
Best regards,

Verónica

Hi! I still do not understand this parameter but I have to admit that I had no time to read about it :frowning:
If you know it and you would not mind telling me about it that would be great!
Appart from the running average length, the plugin is great and we could obtain a lot of data :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for replying!

Verónica

Hi @VeroMicro,

@iarganda is the main author of that plugin and will know for sure.

The code seems to have the answer though: From what I understand the “running average length” is a sum of distances between points on the skeleton (averaged over 5 pixels).

From here is says:

length_ra - calibrated edge length calculated with running average ofer (sic) 5 Pixel

So it sounds like a “smoother” version of length - since it averages distances over 5 vertices (I think).

Hope that helps a little,
John

Dear John, thanks a lot for the info!! For sure it helps! :slight_smile:

@iarganda @bogovicj Forgive me for my poor understanding. Can you explain it more deeply. I want to know why some avarage running length is 0, while the Euclidean distance is non-zero?

1 Like

That’s indeed very strange, can you post here an example of an image that produces such result?