Analyze particles to include in-hole particles

fiji
analyze-particles
morphology

Hi,

I’m trying to analyze the particles (black on white background), however I couldn’t include the particles inside the holes.

The raw image to be analyzed:

Result after using analyze particles:

Then, I tried using the morphology plugin: http://www.mecourse.com/landinig/software/software.html and by using the Numberparticles8 option I could select all the particles inside the holes. However, my problem is that it only showed the numbered results and not ROI, I wanted to measure the properties in the “shape descriptor” in the measurement option, also to not select particles below 0.05 um^2, and possibly have the result as ROI set.

Result after using numberparticles8 of morphology plugin:

Therefore is it possible to convert the results of Numberparticles8 into ROI so that I could measure it using the imagej measure option, or is it possible to include the particles inside the holes by modifying analyze particles?

Nico

Problem with ROI to overlay in latest version 1.52j

Did you try the Particles8 plugin from the same Morphology collection? That should be able to extract any particle regardless of size if they are binarised.

By the way, Particles8 works in pixel units exclusively, not calibrated units, so not quite sure what is the claim that it cannot select 0.05 um^2.

Thank you very much for your reply. Sorry for the confusion regarding the unit, I meant that in analyze particles it is possible to do it by calibrated units.

I tried particles8 plugin, I did get the following result after changing the options of particles8 (had to uncheck the white particles on black background option despite the image) which I think is what I was looking for, along with the measurements similar to those in shape descriptors:

However, it does not label the particles by numbers/ROI in ROI manager (I guess it differentiates the results by color?). Is it possible to label the result with numbers?

Nico

To number the particles, use NumberParticles8. The numbers start at 0. If you want it to start at 1 (same as the Number column in the Result Table, modify that macro and change the line:

offset=0; //start numbering at...

with:

offset=1; //start numbering at...

To label the regions you better use the BinaryLabel plugin (no number after it!, it produces a 32bit image with unique colours = “Number” column in the Results Table (it is actually row number + 1 because 0 is reserved to the background).
If you use the BinaryLabel8 plugin, you get a 16bit image but if you have more than 65530 regions, the colours are recycled.
If you use the “Label” option of Particles8 the colour are recycled after 251. Depending on your application you might need unique colours or not.
Ask if this is not clear.

The particle analyzer includes particles inside other particles as long as you do not use the “Include holes” option. The following macro creates and analyzes an image with two particles inside a larger particle.

newImage("Untitled", "8-bit white", 400, 400, 1);
  setColor(0);
  fillOval(41, 43, 300, 300);
  setColor(255);
  fillOval(64, 66, 250, 250);
  setColor(0);
  fillOval(87, 133, 100, 100);
  fillOval(198, 141, 100, 100);
  setThreshold(0,0);
  run("Set Measurements...", "area mean centroid");
  run("Analyze Particles...", "  show=Overlay display clear");
  resetThreshold;

Thank you for your reply. I am also looking to analyze the particle that has holes, in which the inner border is also outlined, unfortunately particle analyzer here assumes that the particle with hole has no hole (the ROI does not include holes).

Thank you for your reply. Is there any way to use the macro NumberParticles8 by filtering the size and to exclude edge particles as when using Particles8? Furthermore, regarding labeling by using the BinaryLabel8 plugin, I am not really sure why it is considered the better option compared to numbering, is there any specific reason why?

Please see in that macro lines 22 and 26 where it calls Particles8. You can set the minimum and maximum regions seizes.

Unless you know how many regions there are, it woul dbe safer to use “BinaryLabel” (i.e without the 8)
Numbering generates an image with the “burnt in” particle numbers.
BinaryLabel paints the regions in unique colours. They are very different things. You can extract a given region just by thresholding.

The particle analyzer does exclude holes when making measurements but ROIs added to the ROI Manager and overlays ignore holes, a bug that is fixed in the latest daily build (1.52k9). The following screenshot shows that the ROI for the first particle in your example image is now a composite ROI that excludes the two interior holes. It is drawn in magenta because I activated it by double clicking on the first line in the “Overlay Elements” table. You can also activate an ROI in an overlay by clicking on its label.

Dear Wayne, Gabriel,

Thank you for the responses. So far I have gotten the analysis done properly. Thank you very much!