Accessing BoneJ and segmentation

Hi All! I am pretty new to using imageJ. I want to access BoneJ because I need to find the cross-sectional moments of inertia and segment my image into 8 equal quadrants. However, I haven’t been able to figure out how to properly download the plugin (I am on a mac if this is at all helpful) or if I am suppose to be able to find the plugin in imageJ itself? I am truly lost and have been staring at my computer for three hours trying to figure it out. Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Hayley. Thanks for be interested to use BoneJ. Based on your message, I think that you didn’t install BoneJ on your ImageJ/Fiji instance. https://github.com/bonej-org/BoneJ2/wiki/Installing-BoneJ has instructions to install BoneJ. Can you give a try to install BoneJ following the instructions on the previous link and report back to us?

2 Likes

Hi! I have seen these download instructions before. However, when I select Help>Update I am not given a “manage sites” options only a small window pops up (I’ll include it in this post).

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 10.18.04 AM

Hi @Hayley - that window shows for me when I navigate to Help > Update ImageJ. I think you are looking for Help > Update....

This is my help menu (image included) when I select the Help>Update… I just get the window that I previously posted.

Hmmm… interesting!
The below is what I would expect it to look like - you can see that Update ImageJ and Update... are different options…:

What version of FIJI/ImageJ have you got installed?

It says v.1.53g, is this the right version? I updated it yesterday!

Yes, that is the latest version, but that refers only to ImageJ1, as far as I understand.
To install the latest version of BoneJ (BoneJ2), you need the latest version of FIJI which will include ImageJ2 (which in turn will itself include ImageJ1… its…complicated :slight_smile: ).

My suspicion is that you have ImageJ1 installed, which is why the Update... button (the “updater”) doesn’t show for you… (It’s an ImageJ2 feature) I may of course be completely wrong. I would suggest installing a clean version of FIJI on your machine, and then following the steps detailed in the instructions that @raniere.silva linked to above.

Hope this helps!

It’s working now! I got the boneJ plug in! Thank you guys so much for helping me. Now I just have to figure out how to use it! Oh the joys of thesis writing.

3 Likes